◎ VEGGIE SUSHI ROLLS
5 cups Japanese rice, 4.5 cups water, 1 cup sushi vinegar (seasoning)
10 sheets of nori (toasted seaweed), carrot, lemon, salted radish, asparagus (blanched)
Tamago (egg omelet), avocado, alfalfa sprouts, black sesame seeds
1. Rinse rice in water until the water runs clear and then soak the rice for 30-60 minutes. Place the drained rice in a rice cooker (5 cups Japanese rice and 4.5 cups water) and cook the rice. After the rice is cooked, slowly add 1 cup sushi vinegar and mix them well. This will be the sushi rice.
2. Place a sheet of nori horizontally in front of you on a bamboo mat, smooth-side down.
3. Dampen your hands with some lemon juice and press the sushi rice into a long-ellipse shape. (the amount of the sushi rice should fill about 80% of a small soup bowl).
4. With damp hands, press the rice flat on top of the nori, leaving 1-1/2 inch edges on the top and bottom, but pressing all the way to the sides. Make sure the rice is pressed even and smooth.
5. Place ingredients on the sushi rice – arrange them artfully in the center of the rice.
6. Use the mat to roll up the sushi, pinching and squeezing the mat to shape it into a round cigar shape.
7. To serve, slice off the ends with a very sharp and clean knife and slice each roll into 8 equal pieces.
◎ HAND ROLL
Cut the nori sheet into rectangle shape. Take a piece of nori, and place a small amount of sushi rice on top of the nori. Place filling ingredients vertically across middle of rice then fold the nori into a cone shape. The hand roll is ready to serve.